[OM] Re: Are blurred pictures any good?

Subject: [OM] Re: Are blurred pictures any good?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 20:33:51 -0400
Pretty much.  Here's the best shot of the session :-)  :-)
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/best%20shot.jpg>
but here's mom's choice
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/temp/mom%27s%20choice.jpg>

Sorry, the only OM content here is that I had the 85/2 with adapter at
the ready.  Unfortunately the usage requirments are not well adapted to
chasing an 8-month old who, incidentally, cried for most of the hour
long shoot.  Very cranky due to no nap that afternoon.  Always take a
nap first, especially if you're the photographer :-)

For weddings and other events held in large halls and ballrooms I do try
to light the entire room as much as possible with 2 to 4 studio lights
and then the subjects with portable flash at the camera.

I'm sure I've shown this shot before but it's rather the extreme case of
trying to light the entire inside of an old barn.
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/smith%20barn/group%20shot%20proof%20-%20img_0382_std.jpg>
4 studio lights hidden in the loft above and my twin T-32 rig downstairs
lighting the front.  This is from the original frame with no processing
other than resizing for the web.  Note the black gradient at the bottom
of the frame which is the shadow cast by the edge of the loft.  That
black is what the room would have looked like without the strobes even
considering that this is 1/4 sec exposure at f/9 at ISO 400.

Chuck Norcutt