[OM] Re: Welcome to all newbies

Subject: [OM] Re: Welcome to all newbies
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:52:02 -0600
Garth wrote:
> I joined in 1997, if memory serves.  At that time, the List was hosted
> by a listserver in Canada (Vancouver Island, British Columbia, at a
> local community college -- the IT guy there [Shawn] was a serious
> Zuikoholic...).

Ooops.  My bad.  It's actually Shawnigan Lake School, a private senior
high/university prep school.  The IT guy is still Shawn Wright, who ran
the Listserver for a number of years.  I *do* recall that he took over
the reins from someone else, though I don't remember who, so I assume
that the List was probably around since at least the early 90s (it may
have existed in nascent form even earlier, but it probably didn't have
very many members -- in most parts of the world, readily-available
general-public Internet access didn't exist prior to around 1994 or
so...).  Where I live, inexpensive public Internet access happened in
August of 1996 -- I was one of the core team that brought AGT PLAnet*
(later Telus PLAnet, and now Telus Internet Services) to the people of
the province of Alberta, Canada.  Made all the little boutique operators
furious -- they were making a killing prior to AGT's/Telus' entry into
the market.

Garth

*"PLAnet" stood for "Public Live Access Network."  Dirt-cheap
local-access dialup.  97% of the population base had it available to
them within about 9 months of launch.