[OM] Re: Welcome to all newbies

Subject: [OM] Re: Welcome to all newbies
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 02:41:58 +0800
Garth
I'm saddened and disappointed to hear about your experiences but I'm not too
sure if this is the case with Olympus Japan. As always, the behaviour and
attitude of subsidiaries do not always reflect the parent company. Time and
again - during my time, that is - the Japanese (from the factory) goes
visiting and their reaction to people who love their cameras (I'm talking
Olympus here) is quite precious to look at. They seem to be always in awe.
Because I was not on the payroll at Olympus - being a "contract gei-jin", my
position allowed me some latitude to have one foot in and one foot out of
the door. So when i met up with officials from other divisions whom we
didn't always get to see, they get very animated by what I had to say about
the situation in Australia and how I can make things happen for them. This
was how I succeeded in establishing the Southern Hemisphere's first and
largest OM Gallery, where every conceivable lens and accessory including all
the pro-series OM SLRs were on display. And also that was how the
now-defunct Olympus Camera Club of Australia (OCCA) was established - with
direct support from Olympus Japan.

K.

On 01/09/06, Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> khen lim wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Does anyone in the List have some sort of chronological history of the
> >> development of this List? If not, that's really sad because I think
> this
> >> is
> >> very important. For me, I would most definitely want to know more of
> the
> >> background behind this List.
>

> Bits can be pieced together.  I suspect it came about largely because of
> relatively poor communication between Olympus and its many users, who
> craved more and better information all the time.  So for example, this
> labour of love:
>
>       http://www.star.ucl.ac.uk/~rwesson/eSIF/om-sif.htm
>
> was originally compiled by Hans van Veluwen (I've seen his e-mail addy a
> few times recently, so I assume he's still monitoring the List), who
> also sells a CD-based version at cost for the true addicts amongst us.
> His "2005" version is here:
>
>       http://vanveluwen.nl/eSIF/
>
> The OM Webring, at
>
>       http://f.webring.com/hub?ring=olympusom
>
> exists for much the same reason as the List -- to share knowledge and
> photos.  Another enormous resource is R. Lee Hawkins' "Photography and
> Olympus FAQs" page, which links to dozens of other sites, many of which
> are not in the Webring:
>
>       http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/photo.shtml
>
> Some of the links on Lee's page are dead, but many are still active.
> One of these days, I may set up a Webcrawler to grab everything from
> every link and archive it all (except the photo stuff), just in case.
> If we were to dump all these resources into Wikipedia, it'd probably
> melt down.
>

> >> Secondly does Olympus CONSCIOUSLY know about this List? During my time
> >> with
> >> Olympus, I confess I have never heard of this List at all!
>

> I have no idea.  Even if they did, some of us seriously doubt that
> Olympus actually cares.  I seem to recall on more than one occasion that
> e-mails and/or letters were sent to various parties within the Olympus
> organization for various reasons, always with info about the List
> attached.  All that ever seemed to come back were form letters (or their
> e-mail equivalents).  From this most of us have concluded that Olympus
> Imaging Corp. makes great cameras but doesn't give a rat's ass about
> their users/customers.
>

> Garth

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx