[OM] Re: Why the OM-2S is my favorite

Subject: [OM] Re: Why the OM-2S is my favorite
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:11:03 +0800
On 31/08/06, Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Maybe it's because I'm only on my second cup of coffee, AG, but I'm
> > afraid I got lost on this one.  First of all, I've never considered
> > "bright, direct sunlight" to be "tricky lighting".  Often undesirable
> > but not tricky.  But what I really don't understand is why, after having
> > set a proper manual exposure, I'd want to switch to auto.
> >
> > Chuck Norcutt
>
> The OM2s is my favorite film camera for one simple reason, the continous
> and
> easy-to-use spot metering. I rarely take it off manual. I shoot almost
> exclusively slide film with it, so I need accurate metering. In tricky
> lighting you can only properly expose one part, and I like to chose that
> part. I think that is easiest done with the OM2s spot meter, and some
> experience of course of what you want.
> Now admittedly, I don't have an OM4t. At one time I was sure I wanted one,
> but the more I researched how they work, the more I realized I already had
> better metering system for what I wanted, in the OM2s.

I really hate to say this because I've a feeling I'm going to step on some
toes here but....the OM-4Ti (AND OM-3Ti)'s metering system is more accurate
and more sensitive than the OM-2S Program. When these cameras were
developed, they were concurrently designed. Maitani's aim was
deliberate...the OM-4Ti was to be the penultimate.
The very issue of having the OM-2S Program and OM-4Ti at one time in the
same range was perplexing to many. This was because people were expecting
the evolution process to continue a direct geneological line from OM-2n. At
this point of the family tree, there is a split. From the 2n, we now have
the 2S Program and the 4Ti. The reason was important. At this juncture, we
decided to compete against the "cream" of the industry but we were going to
do it on our own terms. No removable finders (thank God), no stupid flash
hotshoe design, no external meter couplers etc etc and certainly not gorilla
sized. The OM-4Ti would continue the lineage with pride but it would do it
by kicking some butts along the way and defining a new standard that up till
today, no one else on this planet could match. The OM-2S Program occupied
one step below the OM-4Ti. Both are FAST handling SLRs but the OM-2S Program
was destined to play an important role to backup the OM-4Ti as a second
(companion) camera that would do the job if the OM-4Ti is out of service.
There is NO DOUBT that the OM-2S Program was developed in ways you love it
now. That is because some of the remaining OM-2n engineers moved in and for
Maitani, the "2" was still his baby and as for that, the evolution must
continue. The only issue was market repositioning. The "2" simply had to
make way for the "4". The prince who ruled had now to give way to the king.
The king had come home.   :)

Wayne

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx