[OM] Re: DSLR advice

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLR advice
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:23:25 -0700
If you are doing a lot of product photography the barrel distortion of the
14-45 might be a miinor source of frustration. I would recommend the 14-54
over the 14-45.

Depending upon what product you are photographing, flourescent lights might
work well. Color accuracy likely won't be perfect but setting up the
lighting would be easier. Check out some of the lights Adorama and B&H sell.
Although not cheap they don't have to be ridiculously expensive. There was a
web site where a photographer described how he had tested flourescent lights
and found that those with an electronic ballast that he bought from a
hardware store worked very well for his studio. I believe he tracked down
some better than normal tubes.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>

Mainly product photography, on-site and at the customer's place. Once in
a while there's a simple portrait here or there, not too fancy.

The coworkers  should get the  simple stuff. I guess something  like the
14-45 and  program/aperture-priority should be fine. The  most difficult
part will probably be teaching them to use the flash.

I'll be  the only  one doing  any fancy stuff  with the  camera. That is
where the  manual lenses will  come to play. I  don't mind doing  it the
hard way. :)