[OM] DSLR advice

Subject: [OM] DSLR advice
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 21:59:41 +0200
Hi!

Well, the office needs a new DSLR - and I'm really not sure which models
to recommend looking at.

It should  not be  too expensive,  so I'm  thinking something  along the
lines of a  E-500 or 350D. Up to now, the  only digital camera available
at  the office  was a  C*non 5mpx  p&s, which  was mostly  OK, sometimes
lacking image quality, sometimes `feature stuff' (focal length, shutter,
external flash, aso.). So I guess the amount of megapixels should not be
the  main criterium. Rather,  the camera  should render  `good' pictures
without much post-processing.

One big  problem on the p&s  was the flash (obviously). Since  the DSLRs
actually  all have  hotshoes,  this should  not be  such  a big  problem
anymore. I will  just have to  see how high  the trigger voltages  on my
various flashes is.

Another thing was the the inability to switch lenses. Here, I would like
to be able to use my OM lenses. (Knowing that modern DSLRs are difficult
to work with the old manual  lenses.. But when one needs a special focal
length, it's better to have the option to use it!)

Like I said above, the E-500 or the  350D were the first that came to my
mind. I wonder if a E-1 might not  even fit our needs. Or maybe it might
even be better to wait until after the Photokina? (If just for the price
drop of old models?)

We will  go look  at some cameras  next week. But maybe  one of  you can
offer some advice on what to think about, look out for, etc.?

Thanks,

Nils