[OM] Re: Coming back to the fold...

Subject: [OM] Re: Coming back to the fold...
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:30:25 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> keith_w wrote:
>
>> I got my beloved OM-1 back!

Hi Chuck!

> Excellent!

>> Cleaned up and with a new battery, it's like new to me!

> First question.  What did you use for a new battery since the original
> mercury cells are no longer available?

I bought one of those C.R.I.S. MR-9 adapters that allow the use of a 386
silver oxide battery. Works just fine!
Yes, it's a bit costly, but then I plan to use this OM for another 20 years!

>> Okay. The serendipity part?
>>
>> My then-wife had purchased a Tokina 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom lens, and gave
>> it
>> to me as part of the kit when she returned the OM-1.
>> I'm normally hesitant about off brand zoom lenses, but in spite of it, took
>> this one for a test ride a few times recently...
>> 35-135mm is a better zoom range than I had imagined!

> If it said Albinar, Rokunar or Star D or Makinon or any of a hundred
> other private labels I'd call it "off brand".  Tokina doesn't fit into
> that category.  I have a Kiron 35-135 f/3.5-4.5 (which also doesn't fit
> into that other category) and I agree that it is a very good zoom range.
>
> Chuck Norcutt

By "off-brand" I was speaking to non-Olympus, nothing else.
Tokina, and Kiron, for that matter, are excellent lenses.

keith whaley