[OM] Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - 2

Subject: [OM] Re: And Now For Something Completely Different - 2
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:03:06 +1000
> Moose wrote:
> As long as I've got this subject name...
> <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/AndNow/generation.htm>

Ahh, reminds me of visit a few years ago to Murray 1 (if Foxy is
still around, his ears probably just pricked at that :-) ).
Murray 1 is one of the hydro-electric powerstations of the
Snowy Mountains Hydroelctric Scheme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowy_Mountains_Scheme

I remember looking across the turbines from almost exactly the
same angle, and feeling the "Mad Scientist" urge run through me
at the sound and "feeling" of power in the air.

In your photo, inside that closest turbine, the you can see a
light-glow which gives a visual of the power inside, even if it's
just an inspection light or something.  If I recall correctly,
the reason the walkway on the left has been scalloped at each
turbine is because the whole turbine-assembly can be hauled
out from above for maintenance, etc.

The whole photo reminds me of a recent (for Australia) Doctor
Who episode, 'The Age of Steel', with its rise of the Cybermen
under the Industrialist John Lumic on an alternate earth. These
look like the places where humans were "upgraded" (okay,
so I'll shut up before I get labelled a Doctor Who geek...or is
it too late? :-) ).

Anyway, just some random thoughts that were inspired. In the end,
I love the repetition and the angles/perspective-lines. I very
much like photos that make your mind burst with its own linkages
and references, all inspired by one, still image.

Cheers
Marc (humming a song by The Who)
Sydney, Oz