[OM] Re: Moose's Review Site

Subject: [OM] Re: Moose's Review Site
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:45:53 -0700
Here you go <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html>.
> Thinking about a competent scanner that can do a batch scan
> of 35mm slides. My film scanner is good, but one at a time in a
> holder with 4 slides. I am too near the end of my life for that. :-)

Yeah, I feel the same, but haven't bit the bullet yet. Liquidity hasn't
recovered from the 5D yet.

I got all excited about the new Epson V series. But upon re-reading and
looking at all the samples, I'm currently back to leaning toward the
Canon 9950F:

- I think my 4000 dpi film scanner gets all the detail out of current
films that is there. And I've already scanned much of my contemporary film.

- All the old slides and neg film, going back to the 1940s, that I want
to scan  tends to have bigger grain than contemporary film. The older,
the more grain and less rez.

- The difference between the rez of the 9950F and the Vs is there, but
only at the extremes of magnification. I don't think I'll ever see it,
as a practical matter.

- The 9950F holds one more strip of negs at a time.

- It's cheaper

- Canon's FARE dust removal seems to be just as good as ICE, but much
faster. Over 12 slides or up to 30 neg frames at once and what's left of
my lifetime, that's adds up to quite a few days difference. I don't have
to be there paying attention, but still...

Moose