[OM] It's the Wide Angles

Subject: [OM] It's the Wide Angles
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:01:05 -0700
I¹ve been dinking around a bit, pondering which DSLR I¹d get if I won the
lottery--you know, the usual gear-head activity?and when I¹m looking at the
C*nons and N*kons, the lens offerings really fall short (or long, as it
were) at the wide angle end. If you¹re using a 1.5x or 1.6x crop factor
camera (D80 or 30D say) the widest you get in 35mm terms is 21mm.  That just
doesn¹t cut it for interiors. Maybe if I was a better photographer it
would...but I really like getting the whole room in one shot.

And I haven¹t seen any of the N*kon wides, but the EF-S C*non wide zooms
have such horrible barrel distortion as to render them completely useless
for my needs. (Compared to my current favorite interiors lens, the Zuiko
18mm/f3.5, which is superbly corrected.)

So an E-1, 7-14 and 14-54...and maybe that new L*ica/Panas*nic 25/1.4...is
looking pretty good to me. In a year or whenever the new E-thingie comes
out, well, maybe that¹ll be good too.

When I win the lottery that is.

Of course, I could probably finance the whole shebang by selling my 24 shift
to some C*non user over on Fred Miranda¹s forum.....

Just kidding! It¹s not for sale....;-)

Rob in Seattle