[OM] Re: It's the Wide Angles

Subject: [OM] Re: It's the Wide Angles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:04:58 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> Is there an 18mm lens that is free of barrel distortion? As you say
> it is all correctable these days.

I've never noticed any in my 18/3.5, but I don't much shoot things that
would show it up. In his test, Gary said:
"18mm f/3.5 Zuiko
<http://home.earthlink.net/%7Epcacala/OMData/18mmf35.txt> (multi-coated)
OM-2000 with mirror and aperture prefire
Vignetting = C @ f/3.5, B- @ f/5.6, B+ @ f/8, A- @ f/11 and 16
Distortion = none!...."
and
"Notes: Vignetting characteristic of wide angle lenses, improving with
stopping down; moderately high contrast images; remarkable lack of
distortion; lens design emphasizes outer zones at expense of center image
zone (which gives a sharper overall impression of an image)"

His comments about lack of linear distortion and center and edge
sharpness very much agree with mike Hatam's tests against the Zeiss
18mm. The Zuiko is competitive in inner zones and way better than the
Zeiss out at the edges.

Like linear distortion, vignetting is now easy to correct in software.

Moose