[OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 09:38:42 -0600
GeeBee wrote:
> Hi Garth,
>
> I could loan you an OM2 SP and a few lenses for your stay here if you want a
> walk down memory lane with film.

Graham:

That's kind of you, but I'd rather not.  I may actually toss a
"sacrificial" OM1n (with, and *only* with, a 50mm lens attached) into
checked baggage and hope it arrives, still functional.  Then I'd have to
find professional film (I don't normally use consumer-grade stuff), and
then I'd have to find a way to get it developed prior to returning to
North America, simply to avoid it getting friend by airport X-ray.

**SIGH**

I think air travel's largely doomed.  I wouldn't be surprised if another
couple of big airlines file for bankruptcy in the wake of the latest
thwarted attacks.  Mebbe we really need to get working on the Star Trek
transporter, hmmmm?

Garth

P.S.:  If they really do ban all electronic items in-cabin, perhaps a
renaissance in all-manual film cameras is coming.  Or comprehensive,
relatively inexpensive "rental" services at destination airports.