[OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 09:34:00 -0600
Chris Barker wrote:
> Garth
>
> You do know that you can post it to any one of 20 or so Brits (I'm
> guessing) who would be only too glad to look after your kit for you
> (at no cost, I'm sure) :-).

Chris:

Well, you were one of the folks I was gonna try and synch up with anyway
whilst in Britain, and your offer is kind, but even if I accepted (I
don't need to -- we're staying with friends in Cambridge), it still
doesn't solve the problem of a FedEx gent arriving at your doorstep and
saying "...and that'll be 500 Pounds Sterling duty and VAT, please,"
which I suspect would make you (or our friends in Cambridge) pretty
cranky.  (It would also make me *very* cranky were I to find out about
it later.)

> On the subject of the "unpleasantness" (which I hope is not another
> cockup by the respective security services), I am turning further and
> further from airline travel.  It is a particularly uncomfortable
> experience anyway, without the added threat ...

A viable decision if you don't have to cross large bodies of water, like
the Atlantic.  A buddy of mine and I have both pretty much sworn off of
air travel for most places in North America when we're on photo jaunts
-- we drive almost everywhere instead.  Unfortunately, we're absolutely
stuck when it comes to transAtlantic or transPacific travel.

Even my wife has given up on flying for short-haul.  The distance
between Edmonton (where we lived up until two years ago) and Calgary
(where we live now) is only 300km/180 miles, but with all the additional
delays and hassles of air travel, it's actually more comfortable and
*faster* to take a luxury bus line between the two cities such as the
Red Arrow service.  Big wide seats, oodles of legroom, plugins for your
electronic goodies, cellphones work all the way there and back, tons of
luggage storage available, a coffee/tea/juice/snacks bar, comfortable
bathroom, in-seat movies, much less expensive, and no idiotic security
screening.

In other words, the precise opposite of most modern air travel.

Garth