[OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:00:46 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> It may also be the LED lighting system on the Nikon which emphasizes
> grain aliasing. Scanners like the Minoltas and the Polaroids may have
> one up with a more diffuse lighting system.

As long as we are talking defunct products, the Canon film scanners also
use diffuse lighting. It was one of the factors that weighed in its
favor when I chose the FS4000.

Some films show quite a bit of grain at 4000 dpi, but nothing like what
AG describes. And the faster films have the most grain, not the slower
ones, as one would expect.

This is the most detailed and though page I remember about grain
aliasing. What I particularly remember is his comparison of apparent
graininess of a film scan vs. a flatbed scan of an 8x10 optical print.
It's a ways down the page <http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Grain.htm>.

Moose