[OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review

Subject: [OM] Re: (OT) Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Review
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
Chuck wrote:
> I think it can be caused by interaction between grain size and
> scanner pixel resolution.  Some films just look awful on a
> particular scanner.

Very true. There has been much hand-wringing about
grain-aliasing.  I will pass the observation on that 4000dpi
scanners seem to "choke" a bit on Provia when in single-pass
mode. For some reason Provia (and the original Velvia 100) can
cause what appears to be grain artifacting during the scan.
Why?

Well, I don't think it has anything to do with the emulsion. I
believe it has to do with the frosted base material.
"Pepper-grain", for instance may be caused by refraction in the
base material which redirects the scanner's light causing either
a rainbow color (prism effect) or a black speck.

Using multipass (as opposed to Nikon's singlepass, multiscan)
will usually cause the line-array sensor to be ever-so-slightly
repositioned over the film. A multipass scan will tend to reduce
or even eliminate the grain-aliasing.

This is one reason why I wanted the Minolta 5400 (original one,
not the II) is because the resolution increase and optical
lighting path allowed this unit to have some of the lowest
aliasing of any scanner.

A side note:  Ilford Delta 400 is probably the best scanning B&W
film I've found. The base material is frosted, yet unlike
fujifilm's frosting, doesn't appear to be prismatic in nature,
and it may be finer which doesn't show up in a scan.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com