[OM] Re: OT - What I did while mom was in the hospital other than tensio

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - What I did while mom was in the hospital other than tension and boredom.
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 13:25:50 -0500
  As my
> Dentist put it as he was explaining the surgery he would soon need,
> "growing old isn't for the faint of heart."
As jazz musician Clark Terry says, "The golden years suck!"

> My brother's wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers in her early 50's and at
> age 55 she doesn't seem to be content being lost at times in a fantasy
> world.  Just the opposite... when she gets disorientated she gets
> aggravated and upset.  She fears having someone in the home other than
> my brother caring for her and fears being institutionalized.  It seems
> to be a stressful situation for all involved including the children.
This is a particularly difficult stage in the disease. Frotunately, my
mother never became violent, but it does happen. The unpleasant fact is that
they are often better off in an institution, in small, controlled settings
with minimal outside stimulation and only a few professionals. The time will
come when she will blame the person closest to her for all her problems.
After my mother was institutionalized, she actually improved for a time.

Bill Pearce