[OM] Re: OT - What I did while mom was in the hospital other than tensio

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - What I did while mom was in the hospital other than tension and boredom.
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:34:46 -0500
 I'll eat my Glock before I'll put my wife and kids through that torture.
 I think running my car into a bridge abutment is OK.

My perspective is perhaps different than some. My mother succumbed to
Alzheimers in 2001. She was institutionalized for six years, and showed
symptoms for at least five before, looking in retrospect. She was in her
early eighties when she died.

My father, age 90, is currently confined to a nursing home, where he will
likey spend the rest of his life. While he is well above average in mental
accuity, his body isn't so hot. He cannot walk without aid, and is in a
wheelchair. As you might expect, there are other problems less suitable for
discussion.

Give me the choice, and I'll admit none of us like the options, I'll take
Alzheimers. At least my mother was in a fantasy world for the last five or
so years of her life. My father is, to put it bluntly, miserable. He handles
things about as well as anyone, but every day, he is reminded about the
miserable nature of the rest of his life.

It certainly has made me look at the medical system in a different light.

Bill Pearce