[OM] Re: Semi-OT- Any advice on cutting thin Lexan

Subject: [OM] Re: Semi-OT- Any advice on cutting thin Lexan
From: Russ Butler <russ@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:51:41 -0400
Jay Drew wrote:
> Background:  I picked up a Dolan-Jenner fiberoptic light source to provide a
> "heatless" light for macro work.  The light will need to be color corrected.
> I've fabricated holders for the light pipes and my intent is to sandwich
> correction filters (GAM from B&H) between thin (.093) sheets of Lexan to go in
> front of the light pipes.  So before I start off on the wrong foot, any advice
> on cutting?  Hobby shops are selling Lexan scissors, but they don't mention
> the
> thickness they are good for.  Also, advice on drilling the stuff without
> shattering it would be welcome.
>
> Semi-OM content since I'll be shooting with OM gear.
>
> Jay

I cut .093" lexan (& other, thicker plastics) often to make windshields,
etc. for my bikes. I use a plastic cutting knife that I bought at home
depot on a tip from a local glass shop.

The package it came in is marked "Plaskolite Optix Plastic Cutting
Knife, item# 1999999A."

You make repeated cuts/scribes with it until you're thru the thickness.
Takes some time but is quite easy. Especially useful on more brittle
plastics as there's no danger of cracking.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)
Airhead 2372; 88&89 R100GS's, 02 DL1000(vstrom)