[OM] Re: from the grinding mill

Subject: [OM] Re: from the grinding mill
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:45:01 -0700
ALI wrote:
> "I stopped in at my local camera shop today and two very excited
> clerks told me that they had spoken to a rep that told them that two
> bodys would be announced and realeased this fall.
>
> The new pro body will have 12-14mp, live veiw, same build as E-1 and
> I was told E-1 grip would fit new body.
>
> It is intended to compete with D200 and priced to do so, $1700.
>
> Second body is replacment for E-500 as the entry level offering.
>
> Body and lenses will be smaller and will have live veiw.

Live view in these new bodies will either be either a real breakthrough
or (like the L1) only offer what is called B-Mode in the E-330, with
mirror up and shutter open. Great for macro, where it allows very
precise focus. OK for architectural and other unmoving subjects, but no
better than A-mode. No use for any other sort of normal picture taking.
The E-330 depends on the unique, non-pentaprism design of its viewfinder
to provide a place to put a small sensor for A-Mode live view behind a
partially silvered mirror. I suppose the front reflective surface of a
pentaprism could be partially silvered and a sensor placed there, It
would be a neat trick, but sounds possible.

Beyond that, the new low end bodies could use the E-330 sensor. An
ordinary CCD sensor can't be used for the B-mode. As Panasonic had to
drop from the 8mp of the E300 to 7 for the 330 to get that mode of live
view, I wonder if 12+ mp in the same sensor size with B-mode live view
is likely so soon.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

If the E-330 had a full swivel LCD and an option for live view to show
the effective exposure being made, I would likely have one. Hmmm, maybe
I should thank the Oly hardware and firmware designers for the 5D. :-)

Moose