[OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat

Subject: [OM] Re: OT American use of bad - was Tamron 350/5.6 cat
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:47:54 -0700
Mike wrote:
>> ...agressive roundabout driving ...
>>

> Try the gloriettas in Mexico, DF if you want a little excitement.
Oh, yes, they used to be exciting. When I first drove in Mexico City, it
was very lively, with some seriously crazy drivers, sort of a bullfight
quality to the encounters. As the number of cars and women driving
increased, things changed. Finally, the traffic became so bad there was
no room for anyone to do anything speedy, let alone crazy. Wow, the car
in front moved, lets zoom forward a foot! I remember being driven up
Insurgentes Sur one day when one of us got out, bought some coffee and
came back - we hadn't moved more than a car length.

Near the center of the city, traffic would get so bad that I've
abandoned a bus or taxi, walked a mile or so away from the Centro, then
taken another one. Much quicker than waiting.

About the last times I drove there, they had managed some relief to the
gridlock by turning major streets into a grid of one way throughways,
called Ejes, which resulted in the demise of many gloriettas. First time
there after this change, I started to turn left at a place where I used
to, only to see 5 or six lanes of cars bearing down on me going rather
fast in the opposite direction. I managed to spin around and duck down a
little side street. Took ages to work out a way to get where I wanted to
go.

I haven't been back in years, but I'll bet it hasn't gotten any better.

Moose