[OM] Jpeg editing - or was it - do they still use cameras?

Subject: [OM] Jpeg editing - or was it - do they still use cameras?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 18:34:15 +1200
Hi all,

> Tim Randles wrote:
>> what is wrong with JPEG format?

Other replies did not point out that, recognising that jpg  is a lossy format
(ie,
if you keep editing the same jpeg image it gets screwed up horribly), there
are some image editing programs that always convert the jpeg image to
something else (a not lossy format) while the editing is being done.

Programs that behave this was include

Embellish
Adobe Photo Deluxe
Gimp ( I think)

I suspect all the Adobe Photoshop versions do, but I don't run any because
they are too big.   Not forgetting the cost, which is also too big.

I am not at all sure if Irfanview does.

Brian