[OM] Re: Jpeg editing - or was it - do they still use cameras?

Subject: [OM] Re: Jpeg editing - or was it - do they still use cameras?
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:15:02 -0600
> jpeg2000 algorithms, support completely lossless and 16 bit compression, but
> there is not much
> support for jpeg2000!

  The 16-bit-ness of JPEG2000 is nice, but when it's being used lossy
for 8-bit images, I found it only gives maybe 25-30% reduction in size
for the same image quality (at least, to my eyes) -- but it takes about
10 times as long to compress and about three times as long to
decompress, the algorithm is much more cpu-heavy.

  -- dan