[OM] Re: Filters for T-10

Subject: [OM] Re: Filters for T-10
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:02:33 -0700
Jay Drew wrote:
> Well Moose, it was a grand theory while it lasted.  So we are back to the
> idea that possibly the 2s / 3(TI) / 4(TI) were in the design stages when the
> T-10 was introduced and some smart fellow in the back room pointed out that
> a linear filter in front of the proposed new cameras would be problematic.
>
> Did the T-10 polarizer filter come out at the same time as the flash or was
> it introduced later, and that timing came closer to the introduction of the
> later model bodies?

I've no idea, other than speculation like yours.
> Am I correct in assuming that if I set the camera / flash to TTL auto that a
> linear mechanism would be a moot point?  Maybe I can revisit that kludge I
> was thinking about for my Lester Dine ring flash since I did find a source
> for a sheet of linear polarizer.

I've lost track of th thread here. Did you say which camera are you
talking about?

With the OM-2(n), linear will work fine with the TT-OTF flash control.
With the 2S, 3Ti and 4(T(i)) bodies, I think you should also be all
right. The partially silvered mirror is up when the light from the flash
is read off the film, so the polarization of the light shouldn't make
any difference.

But if that's true, why did Oly use circular polarization in the first
place?
> The truth is out there - but I have no idea where.

Join the club stumbling around in the dark stepping on each others toes
looking for it.

Moose