[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:26:58 -0700
I think that Canon also does development in reducing sensor
production cost. They have done it before. I would be willing to bet
that the 12MP sensor in the 5D cost half the 11MP in the EOS 1Ds. The
techniques used there were probably used in the 30D sensor allowing
an immediate price drop and probably a better margin now and the
ability to cut the price more when the rumored new D80 model comes
from Nikon aimed right at the 30D. It is all business, I think. I
think that there is also a reluctance to push the bottom end up when
it is so technically hard to keep the top end moving up too.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA