[OM] Re: Recommendations in San Diego

Subject: [OM] Re: Recommendations in San Diego
From: "Gary W. Marklund" <Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 15:55:03 -0700
I'll share a few experiences from our recent trip to Europe.

First, it seems that more and more art galleries don't allow photography at
all. I suspect that the flagrant violations of the "no flash" rule forced
them to outlaw cameras, period. Interestingly, I wore a Swiss Army knife at
all times and it was never detected or at least not mentioned. Only had to
give it up once and that was not in an art gallery.

Far too many venues now want to x-ray everything when you enter. It's not just
the airports anymore. I made it a practice to only carry the film I actually
expected to use on any one outing from our place of stay.

Train travel in Europe continues to be reasonably priced, extremely convenient
and they still run on time. I say this based on train travel from Vienna to
Prague to Budapest to Venice to Florence to Rome and from Bolzano to Munich.
Also, no x-rays!

After driving in Italy for a month, I was deathly afraid to drive again in the
U.S. In Italy you would get run over if you even slowed down long enough to
read a stop sign. In the U.S. they actually expect you to stop for one!

Prague and Rome were packed and that was in early May.

OM content - cameras were OM-1n with 50mm/1.4 Zuiko for color and Leica M3 for
Tri-X.

Walt is absolutely right about travel!

Gary