[OM] Re: Recommendations in San Diego

Subject: [OM] Re: Recommendations in San Diego
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 23:13:53 +0100
Walt Wayman wrote:
> Way too much of a hassle anymore, and no faraway place I hadn't been that
 > I really wanted to go, so I swore off flying two years ago.

About the only thing I can think of that I wanted to see was the Grand
Canyon... I don't feel like jumping through hoops for security staff though,
so I guess I won't bother.

I hear Cologne (Germany) is quite nice, though. That's just about driveable -
Dover to Calais ferry (or Eurotunnel), drive through France and up into
Germany. Come to think of it, you can probably get pretty much anywhere in
Europe by road, rail and ferry.

Apparently Prague and Bucharest are quite nice too, but I wouldn't know,
seeing as I haven't been :)

I've been round most of the UK - Scotland was pretty nice. Stayed in a little
cottage in Wanlockhead. The guidebook says "be careful, the nearest hospital
is 60 miles away, and mobile phones don't work here" - and it's true... Not
much to see besides the lead mining museum, but if you're ever in the Dumfries
area, the Dumfries Aviation Museum is well worth a look if you're interested
in aviation history.

Drumlanrig Castle is also worth a look if you're planning on looking for red
squirrels. There's a wooden hut of sorts in the middle of a wooded area of the
grounds - you tend to see lots of birds and squirrels round the feeders. Take
lots of decent film, a decent zoom lens (a 105 at an absolute minimum, a 200
if you want some good close-ups, a 300 or 400 if you're into going completely
overboard) and keep your finger on the shutter release!

In terms of England, the Yorkshire Air Museum (Elvington, near York) is pretty
good too - again, only really of interest if you're into aviation history.
I've got some lovely photos from there, but I can't find the film :(

Some of the photos I took in Scotland have been freshly rescanned with my
Minolta ScanDual IV, and are on my gallery - http://gallery.philpem.me.uk/ if
anyone wants to take a look. Commenting is enabled, so if you feel like
leaving any suggestions or constructive criticism, please feel free :)

 > If I can't
 > drive to it, I ain't going.  And I've just about decided not to drive
 > to any of the 13 backwards states or two bordering countries that won't
 > honor my CCW permit.

CCW permit?

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G