[OM] Re: Depth of Field

Subject: [OM] Re: Depth of Field
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:09:11 -0400
I'm with Mike, Ali  You didn't give us anything to work on.  We'd need
to know the parameters you were facing (distance, lighting, final image
size, etc) and what you hoped to get.

For the macro shot you need to be aware that at f/22 the 35mm ZD is
probably at or close to problems with diffraction.  You might get a
little more DOF over f/16 but the overall image might be softened by
diffraction due to the small aperture.  You'd have to do some testing to
figure out what's the best combo.  And, yes, you'll get much better
results on a tripod even if you're not stopped all the way down to f/22.

One possibility is to use stacked images in PhotoShop.  Take several
with the focus on a different plane on each one.  Then stack them and
blend them together such that the sharpest part of each image is used
for the result.

For a group of people these kinds of tricks can't be done.  You've got
to either arrange the folks differently front to back or else deal with
the cards you were dealt.  Your first option might be to try framing the
shot with a shorter focal length.  The shorter focal length will give
you some additional depth of field but might not be the perspective you
intended.  The only other option is limited to a smaller aperture which
means either higher ISO, longer shutter speed, adding light or all of
the above in some combination.  If you can't do those things either live
with the result or, as my photo mentor says; "Don't take that picture
there, do something else."

None of this really has anything to do with a DSLR except that, if
anything, the DSLR will make the job easier.  For the macro job it would
be a lot easier to stack the digital images than deal with film and
scanning beforehand.  The 4/3 mount lenses also make this job easier
since, for an equivalent field of view, the lenses are only half the
focal length of a those for a full 35mm frame size.  Count your
blessing.  The job would be more difficult with a 5D.

Chuck Norcutt