[OM] Re: a turtle

Subject: [OM] Re: a turtle
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:30:55 -0500
Jerry Liles wrote:
> If you see a snapper out of water this time of year it is probably a
> female looking for a site to lay her eggs.  I see them fairly frequently
> on roads next to the swamps, brakes and bayous here in Louisiana.  A
> real treat is when an alligator snapper makes an appearance.  To
> paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "now this is a turtle!"
> Jerry Liles

That's true. I forgot it was Spring.  My youngest was a hatchling that
came from a bucketload of sand from a nursery close to a pond.  The mama
snapper laid a clutch of eggs in the pile of sand, and a friend (who was
studying to be a herpetologist) found the clutch and incubated 'em.

Alligator Snappers are, truly, astoundingly large turtles.  And can
remove a finger if you're not watching.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon