[OM] Re: a turtle

Subject: [OM] Re: a turtle
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:10:31 -0300

> That's quite possible....
>
> That's your classic Chelydra Serpentina, or common American snapper.
> That's definitely a full adult, a little bigger than my oldest one,
> Zaphod.  They're mostly aquatic, so this guy was on his way from one
> pond to another.
>
> The way to pick them up is by the base of the tail, but depending on the
> turtle's weight it may damage the tail vertebrae, so unless it's in
> immediate danger, best to just let him move on his own.  They're a lot
> more aggressive when they're out of water.
>
> Mine are both captive-bred and very tame. The smaller one is 6" long,
> and I've had him since he was hatched.
>
> --
>

> Paul Braun

Thanks for the information Paul. Yes, there was a pond on either side of the
road. I snapped this picture of the one he was originally leaving, but
headed back toward after I'd chased him around in the middle of the road for
awhile.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/1485763/1/75653111
Any idea how old this one might be? Obviously I didn't pick this one up to
see how heavy he was. But his shell was definitely over a foot long.
Wayne