[OM] Re: OT Vacation report

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Vacation report
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 04:53:08 +0200
In the message I received, Andrew Fildes writes:

>My college just spent $100K on hiring a management consultancy to
>tell them what is wrong (after pressure from the State Education
>Dept.).

I'm glad you're in Victoria. :-) I'd hate to see my well-earned money
being thrown out the window like that.[1]

>                           I know another principal who used to work
>with them who said he'd have done it for a good bottle of wine and
>taken about half-an-hour. I'd have done it for free - but they'd not
>have been listening.

And there's your problem. Free advice, as any good management know, is
worth its price.

Now, if you reinvented yourself as a sharp dressed take-no-prisoners
management consultant and charged exorbitant amounts of money for your
advice, they'd listen. Oh yes. And all you have to tell them is that sky
is blue and clouds are white and none of them are about to come crashing
on their heads[2].

>                     As it is they've corrupted the process and
>turned it into a 'blame the staff, not the leadership' exercise.

That's because staff doesn't pay the consultants; the management
does. ;-)

Cheers,

Saso

[1] Let's not talk about Sydney tunnels, shall we? :-)
[2] Ask me how I know.