[OM] Re: Avoiding Red EYE w/ T-32

Subject: [OM] Re: Avoiding Red EYE w/ T-32
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 08:57:14 -0400
The Stroboframe will solve your red-eye problems as well as helping hide
shadows behind the subjects caused by the flash.  The cheapest (Quick
Flip 350) Stroboframe bracket for 35mm size cameras will probably work
as well as any other
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=52728&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation>
You can probably also find one on ebay.

Red-eye is caused by bright light being refelected directly off the
retina and straight into the lens.  It can only occur when there is a
narrow angle between flash, subject and lens.  It's worse in low light
since the subject's pupils are dilated.  That increases the angle
between flash and lens where red-eye can occur.  The bracket works by
significantly increasing the angle between flash and lens.

In addition to the bracket you will need a PC to hot shoe adapter (the
two at bottom left in this shot, one has a built-in PC cord)
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Homemade%20bracket%20&%20various%20hotshoe%20adapters.jpg>
The adapter will be held by the shoe clamp on the bracket and the T-32
will be inserted into the adapter thus:
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/gear/Umbrella%20adapter%20mounted%20on%20tripod%20%232.jpg>

I think you have an E-500 which does not have a PC connector.  Therfore
you will need a hot show to PC adapter also.  The best one around is the
Nikon AS-15 hot shoe to PC adapter:
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=37086&is=REG&addedTroughType=search>

You will also need a short PC male to PC male cord to connect the two.
Minimum length about 15".  A coiled cord that stretches to 18 or 24"
would be best.  Paramount makes the best ones.  This looks like a
Paramount male/male but it's hard to say.  A bit long at 36"
<http://cgi.ebay.com/36-inch-Coiled-Sync-Cord-PC-to-PC-554_W0QQitemZ7624068315QQihZ017QQcategoryZ64354QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting>

Chuck Norcutt