[OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenu

Subject: [OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenus ?
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:55:01 -0700
I didn't remember the correct model no. I've got a 1227. I've found that I
almost always (99%) of the time carry the tripod in my hand with a camera
mounted on it. The only time the length is an issue, is carrying it when I
bicycle. Weight makes a big difference however.

I converted from an aluminum Manfroto. The older Gitzo leg lock I've got
which can rotate the leg segment is a useability weakness. The newer ones
should be an improvement. I managed to pinch myself using the flip locks on
the Manfroto all too often. They are also noisy. I probably have a slight
preference for the Gitzo leg locks vs. Manfroto. Velbon or Slik may have
"friendlier" flip locks. The Gitzo design seems to provide reinforcement to
the end of the tube. I don't think the flip locks provide the same
reinforcement but I don't know if it is really necessary.

The four leg segments typically adds significantly to the weight and is
claimed to reduce the stability because of the smaller diameter of the
bottom segment. Personally I don't think the smaller leg diameter would be a
problem except on a slippery floor. The tradeoff comes down to collapsed
size vs. weight. I would again choose to save the weight.

The Acratech head is very nice, light, and maintenance free.

Good luck deciding,
-jeff