[OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenu

Subject: [OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenus ?
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:47:48 +0200
>I'm using a Gitzo carbon fiber with 3 vs. 4 telescoping leg sections. It is
>about the lightest one I've seen recommended. I believe it is the 1257 (I'll
>check and post again if my memory is wrong). The newer ones (probably same
>model no.)  have an anti-rotating leg which would be an improvment.
>ReallyRightStuff used to recommend this one as a hiking tripod, but the next
>one up the Gitzo line as the one to get if you were going to use big heavy
>super-telephotos.

I have an eye on this tripod as well, but it's a little too big for my taste:
66 cm length when folded (that's 26" for you nonmetric people), 1.42 kg weight
(3.1 lbs). 66cm plus 10cm or so for a ballhead, that's far to long to fit my
backpack. Even the 4-section 1258 is too long:  55 cm (21.7") length when
folded, 1.42 kg (3.1 lbs) weight.

I think a better compromise (for me at least) would be the 1158: 48 cm (18.9")
length when folded, 1.04 kg (2.3 lbs) weight. On the assumption that a tripod
you are willing to carry is better than a really good one you will leave at
home...

Now the price of Gitzos being what is is, I also have an eye on the Velbon
Sherpa Pro CF-640, 641, 540, 541, Slik CF 614F, or Feisol 3402. One of the
important points is: flip-locks ? la Manfrotto (easier and quicker,
particularly for 4-segment tripods), or Gitzo-style locks (more rigid? Never
used one).

I see no advantage in Manfrotto CF tripods, which are almost as heavy as thair
aluminium equivalents

The head would be a Markins M10 or Q3, or an RRS BH-40.

Bernard