[OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenu

Subject: [OM] Re: I'm looking hard at the Evolt E-500, what's the general concenus ?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:16:39 -0700
When I was shopping for a new tripod I spent several hours searching
the web for experiences using the Gitzos and the Manfrottos. What
eventually pushed me to Manfrotto was the inability to find any
complaints in contrast to the Gitzo reports which were numerous,
centering mostly around frozen leg locks and the CF leg/platform
lamination failing, both of which required returning to the maker for
repair. Of course Gitzo probably had more CF tripods out there.

Besides some small weight saving, the primary advantage of CF is that
it seems to absorb vibration rather than letting things resonate. Not
likely to see carbon fiber wind chimes.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA