[OM] Re: E-1 with generic auto-thyristor flash

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 with generic auto-thyristor flash
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 23:02:27 -0700
Thanks to everyone who responded.  The consensus seems to be that it's not
an issue with the flash and digital per se.  It's probably a combination of
the drastic difference in latitude between C41 negative film and a CCD
sensor, backgrounds, plus flash ranges and guide numbers not quite being
what they claim to be.  I'll have to investigate this further, the next
time I shoot flash--which I don't do that often.

In my test I was shooting a medium gray wall, which may return more light
than the typical flash shot (person surrounded by black cave).  That could
have affected things.

One good thing--with bounce flash the flash distance is much more similar
between shots, so it's less of a problem.  Best thing to do is to shoot a
few test shots in the actualy place I'm going to shoot, chimp the
histogram, and adjust accordingly.   Or shoot film, which forgives much.

--Peter