[OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ

Subject: [OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ
From: "James McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:01:10 -0600
Wolves are fascinating animals and they do have a right to exist. I think
their population should be controlled to minimize their conflict with
humans. The same is true of bears and mountain lions. Rather than permit
controlled hunting to maintain a reasonable population, California banned
hunting and are now paying professional hunters to kill more bears and lions
than hunters ever did. These predators need to have a fear of humans for
them to stay alive. Eating a few humans is not an unreasonable thing but we
should be able to be safe in our yards in town. Where my cabin is located,
we don't let kids sleep outside because there are grizzly bears, lions, and
wolves around here. It's a small price to pay to be able to see these
magnificent creatures in the wild. I only worry about predators (primarily
grizzlies) at night because I think I probably look and smell a lot like a
big burrito in my little tent.

I spent the day walking in the woods and saw two elk, two mule deer, six
whitetail deer, a fox, many antelope, many sand hill cranes, several eagles
and hawks, and heard one moose wheezing but didn't get to see it. I don't go
out of my way to have conflict with critters but carry bear spray and a 454
Casull revolver just in case. Those things add some weight but, again, it's
a small price to pay.

/jmac