[OM] Re: Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2

Subject: [OM] Re: Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:47:53 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Although you have one lens which works, it should not work according to
> the specs.  The M42 registration distance is 45.46mm and the OM
> registration distance is 46mm.  There's 0.54mm of problem area in those
> specs to achieving infinity focus *not* including the thickness of the
> adapter.  My guess is that your 105/2.8 Takumar probably focuses a
> little past inifinity on a Pentax body.

Just checked. The 105 *does* focus beyond infinity.
Not on my Spotty F, but on the Oly OM 2, using the adapter, it does.
That solves that part of the dilemma.
The adapter is still wrong.
I'll compose a message to facilitate the return...

> The M42 adapter should not be advertised as achieving infinity focus
> unless it has an optical element.

It does have an optical element, but it doesn't seem to work.
Or, the adapter has some other problem.

Thanks for the assist.

keith whaley