[OM] Re: #100

Subject: [OM] Re: #100
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 14:04:04 +1200
Hi all

> I'll be conducting an field observation to see if Australian merinoes
> have taken up rolling over cattle grids. Or taken to roaming in
> packs, beating up stray scrub bulls by jumping on them. :)
> Andrew Fildes

I don't know about in Australia - probably not - but in New Zealand any sheep
that showed enterprise especially re jumping fences, poking through gaps
etc, was and is an early candidate for a non-return trip to the slaughter-
house. As a result the residual populations are notable for being mental
retards (my opinion).  Farmers have a low tolerance for trouble-makers.

Cf; an old flatmate from 30 years ago hailed from Ballachulish in Scotland,
and he said the Highland sheep there had no great difficulty in jumping a 6
foot-high fence.

I imagine that, considering where they are expected to live, merinos in NZ (in
high, cold, mountains), and Aust (desert - hot in day, cold at night) need a
few clues (brains, for those not used to NZ slang) in order to survive.

Brian