[OM] Re: Hello, my name is Paul, and I think I'm stupid.

Subject: [OM] Re: Hello, my name is Paul, and I think I'm stupid.
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:18:11 -0500
On 5/17/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ALI wrote:
> > The 550FD will work without any covering of contacts, etc? How about the VIV
> > 283/285HV? My concern with these flashes is not knowing which contacts
> > to cover
> > and not being very handy anyhow. I dont want to fry the E-500 trying to use
> > non-Oly flash.
> >
> There are other SunPaks out there that do a lot with only a single
> contact. Like the 422D Chuck mentioned, the auto26SR (and I think there
> are other similar models) does swivel and tilt, with full to 1/16 power
> over 5 settings in manual. This particular model also has flash zoom for
> 35, 50 and 135mm lenses (or 17, 25 and 70 mm lenses on 4/3).
>
> Not as powerful as a T32, but also doesn't cover almost 24mm FOV on FF
> (which would be about 12mm on 4/3). That and the zoom feature give it
> decent 100asa GNs of 86 @ its widest and 120 at its longest setting.
>
> Moose

I don't have a Vivitar 283/285, but I have a 4600, Sunpak 433, Viv
550FD, and a variety of T flashes.  None has fried my E-1 or C8080.
My personal favorite with the E-1 is the T32 with a Stofen Omnibounce.
 This works well in a normal room or with subjects that pretty much
fill the frame.  Put the flash on its auto mode and select a stop (in
camera's M mode) in the same vicinity as is suggested by the flash's
scale.  Chimp and adjust the stop.

My second favorite is the Viv 4600.  Works well with gizmos such as
Lumiquest makes.

Joel W.