[OM] Re: OT computer advice needed (circuit breaker)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed (circuit breaker)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:16:07 -0400
At 3:43 AM +0200 5/14/06, Listar wrote:
>Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 23:36:31 -0300
>Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed (circuit breaker)
>From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>on 12/05/2006 19:35, Joe Gwinn at joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:
>
>>  Fernando, something is seriously wrong.  It should not work this way
>>  at all, and you should not be bypassing any breakers at all.
>>
>>  Please hire an electrician.  Immediately.
>>
>>  Joe Gwinn
>
>Joe, I appreciate your concern but I agree with Moose that what's seriously
>wrong is the way we name things.

This is one reason I don't try to diagnose this remotely.  But even
with the language issues, enough of a picture comes through to make
me very worried.  Unless one is trained in electricity, it's easy to
blunder, and I've found my share of dangerous blunders in friends'
houses and apartments over the years.

It always starts innocently enough -- "The air conditioner was
blowing fuses so I ...".  This was mentioned in passing; my advice
was not being sought.  In this case, the fuse was bypassed by wiring
around it, connecting the air-conditioner circuit directly to the
entrance busbars.  Oops.  A short would have raised the #14 (1.63 mm
diameter) wiring in the walls to incandescence without blowing the
main fuse, or blowing it quickly enough.

Then there is the one about the bathroom sink that emitted sparks
when the sink drain was moved.  Etc.

>I'm also in debate with Moose regarding why
>the parallel setup, but preferred to make sure myself before trying to write
>an explanation, and couldn't check things yet again.
>AC 220V is different here than the AC 110V in the US, Canada and Mexico me
>thinks. There's no polarity and there's no ground-loops...

Umm.  Residental power systems are all very much alike, although the
voltage and frequency does vary from place to place.  Yes, there is
polarity and ground-loops in all the world.  This is a property of
electricity, which follows universal physical laws.

>I did hire a very competent electrician to make this set-up, and it's
>running without major accidents (already named which were the minor ones)
>since at least 1994.

Has an electrician made *all* the changes since 1994, such as
bypassing the breaker?

Joe Gwinn