[OM] Re: OT computer advice needed (circuit breaker)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed (circuit breaker)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:35:59 -0400
At 3:31 AM +0200 5/8/06, Listar wrote:
>Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 17:29:26 -0300
>Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed (circuit breaker)
>From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>on 7/05/2006 12:18, Joe Gwinn at joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:
>
>>  Bypass the circuit breaker?  Not a good idea - it's a good way to
>  > burn the house down.
>
>Joe, I have six circuit breakers at home. Two of them at the main electrical
>input, in a parallel setup.

These would be the two sides of the main breaker.  I assume that
there is a metal rod mechanically connecting the two switch toggles
together, so that the two breakers nominally operate together.

>One of these shuts when wiring temperature
>rises, and the other shuts when anything that might be wrong happens.

Hmm.  No.  This is not how it works at all.

>Only the latter is bypassed so as to make a single dedicated power supply line
for my audio equipment.

So this one circuit is connected directly to the incoming heavy-wire
feeder line.  That's *very* dangerous; you could lose the house and
the family.

>This Merlin-Gerin breaker waits until I go out on
>vacations to shut, when all other breakers are shut before leaving and only
>the fridge and the alarm system remain On.
>These are the main breakers, there are also quite a number of smaller
>breakers which are in fact only sophisticated fuses.

Fernando, something is seriously wrong.  It should not work this way
at all, and you should not be bypassing any breakers at all.

Please hire an electrician.  Immediately.

Joe Gwinn