[OM] Is this a hornet or a queen wasp

Subject: [OM] Is this a hornet or a queen wasp
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:14:19 +0200
Sorry about the quality of the picture, but it was my first encounter
with one of these babies, I put the match in for scale but it was just
over an inch long  (3cm). I thought this was a single incident, but last
night we discovered another in the house slightly bigger, unfortunately
because of the risk to our baby they will not be released. Any
suggestions on humane ways to put them permanently to sleep, the wasp
spray didn't seem to make the first one very happy.

Also is it just a male hornet or are they  queen of some variety.
googling hasn't provided me any answers yet
http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/69133793-M.jpg

thanks
IanW

It's good my wife needs me for some things ;-)