[OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp

Subject: [OM] Re: Is this a hornet or a queen wasp
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 13:16:19 -0600
At 12:45 PM 13/05/2006, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

[snip]

>It has taken a long time but the female in this household has gradually
>come to accept that a few small spiders in the house are OK.  If you
>have spiders in the house that are thriving it means that there is
>something for them to eat.  Better to let them eat those somethings
>since the spiders are not vegetarians.

Yep.  Spiders aren't vectors for many diseases that can hurt humans,
they don't compete with humans for food supplies, and they *do* eat
lots of critters which *are* vectors and *do* compete with us for
food.  I always leave 'em alone -- particularly if they've set up
shop in the basement.

And as for flyswatters, we have one of those high-voltage ones that
look like a small tennis (or perhaps a badminton)
racket.  ZOT!  Makes my wife smile when she fries a critter,
'specially flies and/or mozzies.  It works on wasps and hornets, too,
but you need to zap 'em multiple times (they're way tougher than
flies or mosquitoes).

Garth