[OM] Re: Viewfinder shock

Subject: [OM] Re: Viewfinder shock
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 21:38:30 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:
> Moments ago, I loaded the Odyssey OM-1n, mounted the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko, and
> stepped outside to "dry fire" a shot or two.  I damn near fell over
> bass-ackwards when I put the camera up to my good eye!  It was like waking up
> parked on the front row of a drive-in theater with a Cinemascope double
> feature showing and a bra-less 10 in a tight T-shirt and short shorts
> nibbling on my ear.

As always, I enjoy your colorful metaphors. Maybe this will get your
foto funk on its way out of town!
> How quickly we forget!  Digital is fun, and quick, and easy, and damn near
> foolproof, but now that I'm reminded of what the world looks like through a
> real viewfinder, I'm ordering more film.

I still shoot film, although not often. There is something really
pleasurable about wandering about with an OM-1 and 2-3 of those tiny old
Zuiko primes. Or an OM-4 and a nice mid range zoom.

On the other hand, the full frame viewfinder is one of the reasons I'm
so close to a 5D purchase. Assuming its viewfinder is like my neighbor's
A2, it's no OM-1 or 2, but much like an OM-4, way nicer than any of the
small sensor DSLRs.

Moose