[OM] Oly Lens Roadmap

Subject: [OM] Oly Lens Roadmap
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:54:09 -0400
So I was looking around the Oly US site just now thinking about the 50mm I
have snagged and I noticed some changes on the lens roadmap. It seems the
14-35mm f2 has been pushed back to "2006 or later" as has the long macro
prime (100mm). I would assume that this push back is to coincide with the
new body we are all eager for. Not that I am going to ever be able to afford
the 35-100 when it does appear.

While I am thinking about has anyone else's jaw hit the floor when looking
up the prices on the 35-100 and 90-250? I was genuinely shocked when I saw
the 6K price tag on the 90-250. I am sure this was not a cheap lens to
design or will be to build but the fact remains it is not really that
exotic. Granted no one in else has the exact same length in actual or
equivalent terms. The closest I could find to the equivalent would be the
Sigma 300-800mm f5.6 which does have a 6K price tag but is really a
completely different beast than the 90-250. Canyon meanwhile have a 70-200mm
f2.8 IS lens for just $1600. Have Oly lost the plot with this lens? (sorry
for the rant but this one has been bugging me for a while)

Dan S.