[OM] Re: I have relented ....

Subject: [OM] Re: I have relented ....
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
This railing on Olympus Viewer and Studio is fully understood.
However, on my new laptop, Viewer sails along very well. I love
it for editing through hundreds (or even thousands) of
event/wedding photographs. My first pass is in full screen mode
where I identify the blurries and immediate outtakes.  Second
pass is with the comparative window.  After I've identified my
keepers I'll just Select All and batch process them using the
camera settings. I start that process before heading out to
lunch or something.

For personal projects or projects where I have to process each
shot individually, I'm really into Rawshooter. It is extremely
fast and I get a lot more control out of the picture. Skintones
aren't the best, though.  Photoshop Elements does ok on many
things, but workflow is really lackluster--you need to do your
selects with another editor.

If I'm shooting RAW and I need to edit down through a mess of
photos, like of a portrait session, I'll either shoot RAW+SQ
(1280 @ 8:1) or do a low-quality batch convert and use those for
my initial culling. All converters take a while to come up with
usable viewables. By whipping through the JPEGs (and this
process is so very fast as you can actually view and select
about two per second. This gives you a small pile of JPEGS with
which you can go retrieve just the RAW files you need.
Alterntively, I am finding that once Rawshooter does the initial
view building, it is extremely fast too and is multi-threading.

PWP 4.0's RAW processor is ok, but is giving me ---F--L--A--T---
results so far. Much more work for me to figure that one out.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com