[OM] Re: Profiling

Subject: [OM] Re: Profiling
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 01:16:24 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Nils Frohberg wrote:

> Now here's my question: Wolf Faust has DIN A4 sized reflective targets,
> as well as special film targets. I mainly shoot Sensia, so the Sensia
> slide would be OK, but could I not also take a picture of the sheet of
> paper and use that slide/negative for profiling? In this way I could
> also get a few CN films profiled. Or am I way off here?

I have Wolf's film targets and the scanner target.  I mostly use the film
targets and I do get better results than an unprofiled scanner, but the
results still need tweaking.  Results from the E-1 are far more accurate
than any profiles I've been able to come up with.  I doubt that making a
photo of the reflective target would give good results, the ambient colour
temperature would have to be highly controlled to get accurate results.

> Also, are there `neutral' profiling slides? Such that I can only
> profile the scanner and keep the film characteristics?

I never found much difference between the profiles I made from the
Kodak and Fuji IT8 targets, they were both very similar.  I'd say use
whatever IT8 target you have and apply it to other films as well.
Kodachrome may be the exception.
                                        -mark