[OM] Re: Profiling

Subject: [OM] Re: Profiling
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:22:21 +0200
On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:27:38PM +0200, Nils Frohberg wrote:
> > I never found much difference between the profiles I made from the
> > Kodak and Fuji IT8 targets, they were both very similar.  I'd say use
> > whatever IT8 target you have and apply it to other films as well.
> > Kodachrome may be the exception.
>
> Hmm, that seems interesting.. I would expect e.g. Velvia to differ
> quite a bit from other targets.

This got me thinking a bit. If I understand it correctly, the main
reason for not releasing standard profiles for scanners is QC and
change in the lighting system during its lifetime.

Does this make a bigger difference than choosing a different film?
If using the wrong film profile doesn't reflect in a big difference
in the scan, won't using the profile of another scanner of the same
type (e.g. another FS4000) result in even a smaller difference?

Nils