[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:58:49 -0500
> Second, from Jim Timpe:
>
>> I have to ask why you want this?
>>
>>  3.5 in. floppy drive
>>

> I've got a couple hundred 3.5" floppies, some of which contain information
> I may need someday, but the likelihood is too small to bother copying them
> onto other media.  Of course, I'll have a helluva time finding the one I
> want, but if I do, I'd like to have a way to read it.  I suppose I could
> use the laptop, assuming it's still alive, or un-mothball the old Nortgate
> 286 in the basement that has both 5.25 and 3.5 drives, which I'm keeping
> for just such an eventuality.  Yeah, I've still got stuff on 5 1/4"
> floppies.  :-[  And the difference between the media card reader alone and
> the media card reader with floppy drive is, again, only $20.

I'm with Walt, too. This may be slightly disturbing.

Anyway, I've got lots and lots of little files in word processing formats
and small Pagemaker files. I could put all the floppies on one hard drive,
probably all of them on one CD. But what about when the CD shoots craps?
I've had a few floppies crap out, but all in all, they've been the most
reliable form of storage I've used.

Bill Pearce