[OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Help! Moron needs computer advice
From: "Matthew Bristol" <bristolm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:36:27 -0500
You can find some pretty affordable video cards that have both dvi and
vga outputs that can run two monitors.  Not all cards with both ports
support dual monitors, so make sure you check to see that it does.  I
run two 19" widescreen lcd's off of such a card.  No real difference
between the DVI and VGA hookups, as far as I can see.  It allows you to
configure each monitor separately; as I used to have a standard aspect
ratio crt hooked up to the vga port.

That being said, though, a cheap second video card is probably easier.
Multiple monitor support in XP makes setting it up a snap.  It's easiest
to set up if the two cards run off of different types of ports (e.g. PCI
and AGP) as then it's easier to set up video priority for the POST
display in the BIOS (before Windows loads).